Monday, July 7, 2008

A FREE Teaching Tool

I've often been tempted to buy my children those expensive book sets on different learning topics, but I could never drag myself, or my pocketbook, to go through with the transaction.

My family started a garden this year. I encourage the children to take an active roll in caring for the garden. They help me pull weeds, turn on and off the sprinkler, fetch various tools, etc. I don't force them to do anything they don't want to do. (I was forced to tend to our family raspberry patch as a child. I love raspberries and have my own patch, but to this day I've harbored some animosity towards raspberry bushes, so I don't make the effort to care for them as much as I do the garden. Strange, I know.)

Each day I take the children to the garden and explain the various processes that are taking place. For example: Why do we need to water the garden? What do the flowers mean? What do the leaves do? What types of animals are interested in our garden and how do we keep them away? Why do some grow tall and some stay short? My children love to ask more questions and I take great joy in being able to answer them and fill their inquisitive minds with knowledge.

In fact, just the other day, my son used some of the things I taught him in the garden in an everyday scenario. I was floored!

This is a great way to teach your children valuable, everyday lessons, FREE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds really great, I'll have to try it.