Thursday, August 21, 2008

Great Snack Idea for Kids

My children love fruit snacks and fruit rollups, but I can't stand all the sugar. Now, they eat dehydrated fruits and rolls and they go nuts for them and I love that they are less in sugar.

The easiest way to make a fruit roll is to start with applesauce. You can blend in any fruit you'd like to change the flavor, but you should start with an applesauce base (the pulp in the fruit gives it the perfect texture and holds the roll together much better than any other fruit).

You can use wax paper to line the dehydrator trays or some sell special roll liners. Add the blended fruit mixture to the liner at about 1/4" thick and dehydrate for 4 hours or until roll is shiny and pliable. My kids eat it immediately so I bought an extra liner so I can make more rolls at one time. You can make it thicker but it will take longer to dry. I've also found that the cinnamon apples that I canned to make pies with can be blended and used as well. You get rolls that taste like apple pie.

Store any uneaten rolls in baggies. You probably won't have to do this though as they go FAST!

Thanks Betty125 for the great tip. Sounds delicious and healthy. I might try it myself.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Love the new look!!!

SimplyGlam said...

The clean, white look of your blog is nice!