Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A NEW Weekly Feature!

I've decided to help my friend Shannon, a mother of three young children, lose her belly bulge. She's only 27 and feels like she's trapped in a body that she has no control over.

With three children, she has little time for herself (meal planning, exercising, sleeping, etc.) so I am asking you for help. She's agreed to publicly document her progress each Tuesday with belly bulge photos, measurements
and a description of what comments she found helpful and what strategies she utilized that past week.

Introducing...


Shannon: I feel like I've tried everything. The soup diet, not eating, watching what I eat...I just have very low will power. I'm growing a garden this year to try to eat healthier, but I'm still waiting for things to ripen, and I am at a loss for delicious recipes, too.

Here's the belly today. I took a photo from the side, underside and front.



I don't look bulgy if I can tuck the flab into my pants, but I feel generally unattractive, especially when naked. I can only imagine what my husband thinks since I haven't got the courage to ask him. I also have some asymmetrical bulging on my left side.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Measurements:
Around belly button: 32"
Around bulge: 37"
Weight: 150 lbs

This week's plan: Seriously watch what I eat. Try to at least exercise 30 minutes with cardio and do 50 sit ups each day.

Until next week...




6 comments:

Angela said...

That's actually not too bad!! Since you aren't all stretched out and scarred, you could really have a bikini stomach again (without surgery). Situps are fine but they will NOT give you a good stomach again. You need to do regular 40-45 minute cardio (no interruptions) at least 3 times a week. I would guess if you do that and eat healthy you should be able to lose 20-30 pounds and a lot of tummy bulge in 3-4 months. It won't be easy with 3 kids, but you could really do it!

Henry said...

you look fine! kind of looks like my tummy. and you weigh less than i do! but their is nothing wrong with trying to live a healthier lifestyle. especially when you realize that you are setting an example for your kids! (and the most important example you can set is love yourself no matter what size you are and never talk bad about your body in front of your kids. i'm working on this, too) good luck!

Anonymous said...

Those are good tips, I know someone who could use them, she's got quite a foopa.

SimplyGlam said...

I've dropped a few pounds recently just by downsizing portions and trading fatty condiments for healthier ones, such as a raspberry vinaigrette instead of a creamy ranch salad dressing.

Good luck, if I think of any other tips I'll post them!

Andrea @ Momma in Flip Flops2 said...

You don't look that bad - I have a bulge myself, but I know... everyone can say "oh you look fine" and you'll still feel icky.I have learned that I will have a bulge but I'm almost back to my pre preg. weight so that's different.

Have you tried WW? My sisters SWEAR by it. It could keep you motivated, especially with other ladies there to encourage you on. Do you walk with your kids. I put them in the stroller or one in the carrier and the other in the wagon and we go for long walks up hills and things. They love it, you get to see your neighborhood.. or even stroll through a cemetery.. the little ones can't get run over and you'll all be getting air and running around.
Definitely try not to eat out as much - I'm so bad about eating out. I love it because I hate to cook. Just limit your portions too - think, I only need this little bit. Do you like Popcorn? Orvielle redenbocker (However you spell it) has some GREAT yummy kettle corn and a mini bag is only 100 cal. It's so good. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Check out http://clubfym.com/
That is what I am doing...it's only 15 mins/day exercise...and eating healthy real food. Those long cardio sessions will actually work against you...you need to rev up your metabolism to lose the fat!
Good luck! I've got 2 little ones so I know it's hard to make time for yourself.